24th Anniversary of the ADA: Join the Celebration
July 26 will mark the 24th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Celebrations will occur across the country, especially as the community gears up for the 25th anniversary next year. The Six by ’15 campaign is certainly looking forward to this years’ celebrations and the exciting work we have to do in the coming year to achieve our goals.
Here’s just a few of the many other celebrations and projects
- The ADA Legacy Tour kicks off on Friday, July 25 in Houston, Texas. The tour will travel the country for exhibits and workshops, ending the tour in Washington, DC for celebrations of the 25th anniversary.
- The Southeast ADA Center has published an ADA Anniversary Toolkit full of events, videos, resources, and training.
- The Disability Visibility Project is working with StoryCorps to collect and preserve diverse voices of people in the disability community.
- 5 Reasons to Celebrate the 24th Anniversary of the ADA from The Huffington Post
- Events, resources, and training across the country from the ADA National Network
Finally, disability organizations and activists across the nation are gearing-up to support ratification of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. The treaty passed out of the Foreign Relations Committee on July 22, now it’s time to mobilize and encourage all of our Senators to support the treaty and support disability rights around the globe. The treaty already has strong bipartisan support – we just need a few more votes when it comes to the floor! Learn more and contact your Senators through the action portal at www.DisabilityTreaty.org